My guest in today’s episode is Michael Crutcher – he’s the founder and CEO of a company called 55 comms. The focus of 55 comms has been to help clients tell their stories in a rapidly changing world. In the 8 years since starting the business, Michael and the 55 comms team have helped many companies, non-profits, and government departments to communicate better and achieve their goals.
Michael was also appointed the editor of the Courier Mail – Queensland’s largest news and information source. His role as a respected journalist has offered him many opportunities to mix and mingle with legendary leaders both in sport and in politics making him privy to seeing leadership actioned in many different ways. An avid rugby league fan and outside of 55 comms Michael is also the director of the Norths Devils Rugby league football club.
I am privileged to have grown up with Michael and I was excited to catch up with him and learn more about his interesting career journey. He shares with me, his thoughts on what he believes it means to be a good leader based on what he has seen from some of the very best leaders in the world.
- Michael Crutcher introduction
- Michael and Brendan’s childhood
- Leaders Michael has worked with and learned from
- Differences between sporting and political leaders
- Leaders Michael admired
- Michael’s thoughts on male leaders vs female leaders
- Top three observations by Michael of good leaders
- More about the company name 55 comms
- Michael’s leadership role at the Norths Devils Rugby League Club
- Make sure each team member knows their role
- How social media has changed leadership pressure in sport
- Leaders should inspire their team
- What/who inspires Micheal
- Staying cool under pressure
- The one thing that has had the biggest impact on Michael